At the back of throat, two masses of tissue called tonsils act as filters, trapping germs that could otherwise enter your airways and cause infection. They produce antibodies to fight infection. But sometimes the tonsils themselves become infected. Overwhelmed by bacteria or viruses, they swell and become inflamed, a condition known as tonsillitis.
Tonsillitis is common, especially in children. The condition can occur occasionally or recur frequently.
The symptoms of tonsillitis include:
· Inflammation and swelling of the tonsils
· Throat pain or tenderness
· Redness of the tonsils
· A white or yellow coating on the tonsils
· Ear pain
· Difficulty swallowing
· Swollen glands in the neck or jaw area
· Fever, chills
· Bad breath
Treatment of acute tonsillitis is carried out on an outpatient basis and, as a rule, implies:
- Antibiotic therapy (only as prescribed by the doctor);
- Antipyretics - at a temperature above 38 ° C;
- Sparing diet - semi-liquid food, rich in vitamins of group B and C;
- Abundant drink to eliminate intoxication of the body;
- Warming compresses and cotton-gauze bandages on the neck;
- Rinsing of tonsils with medicinal solutions and infusions of herbs (calendula flowers, chamomile pharmacies);
- Physiotherapeutic procedures for strengthening local and systemic immunity.
Every year an increasing number of ENT doctors mark the important role of physiotherapy in the treatment and prevention of acute tonsillitis.
The purpose of DENS (Dynamic electroneurostimulation therapy) is to stop the pain in throat, relieve symptoms of inflammation in the shortest possible term and contribute to restoration of the voice.
In the acute phase DENS procedures are carried out in direct complaint projection, several times a day until improvement. Then 1-2 times per day. The course of treatment is conducted: 1 treatment per day for 10-15 days.
Submandibular zone: «therapy» mode at a frequency of 60 or 77Hz, comfort power level, stable method of application, 5-10 minutes. To enhance the effect – at a frequency of 9.5 Hz for 5 minutes.
Tongue zone: «therapy» mode at a frequency of 77 Hz at minimum powel level (!), stable method of application, 30-60 seconds.
There are contraindications for use. To ensure that procedures utilising the DENS instruments are carried out correctly and that an ideal combination with other treatment methods is determined, it is necessary to familiarise with the instructions for use or to consult a specialist.